Thursday 19 November 2009

who we are...

I thought a good way to start my blog would be with a little reminder of who we are.
Nothing defines us better than our national anthem & our national song.

Despite all the controveries kicked up for political mileage about these songs, they still remind me of my school days, of innocence, of the feeling of pride every time a thousand voices united to sing one song at the morning assembly, even if we did not understand what it meant to us back then.
Now that I can understand the meaning behind the words, these songs seem even more beautiful to me.

I hope the songs given below, and my literal translation of the same, force you to spare 2 minutes from your hectic schedule to remember who we are and where we come from.
And if they fail to rouse the same patriotic spirit in your hearts like back in your school days, know that something is missing. Something is wrong.

The onus to set it right is upon you.

**********************************************************
O dispenser of India's destiny, you are the ruler of the minds of all people,
your name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, the Maratha country,
the Dravida country, Utkala and Bengal,
it echoes in the hills of the Vindhyas and Himalayas,
it mingles in the pure waters of Yamuna and Ganga,
they chant your name, they seek your blessings,
they sing the glory of your victory,
O dispenser of India's destiny, the salvation of all people is in your hands,
Victory to you!

Jana gana mana adhinayaka jaya he
Bharata bhagya Vidhata
Panjaba Sindh Gujarata Maratha
Dravida Utkala Vanga
Vindhya Himachala Yamuna Ganga
Ucchala jaladhi taranga
Tava shubha name jage
Tava shubha ashisha mage
Gaye tava jaya gatha
Jana gana mangala daayaka jaya he
Bharat bhagya Vidhata
Jaya he jaya he jaya he
Jaya jaya jaya jaya he!

**********************************************************
I bow down before you mother,
rich With flowing waters,
rich with wonderful fruits,
with sandal scented winds,
dark hued with the harvest crops,
O mother! I bow down before you,
your moonlit nights are joyful,
you are adorned with trees in bloom,
ever smiling, speaking sweet languages,
blessing us with happiness, O mother!
I bow down before you mother!

Vande Maataram
Sujalaam
Suphalaam
Malayaja sheethalaam
Shashya shyamalaam
Maataram, vande maataram
Shubhra jothsana pulakitha yaminim
Phulla kusumitat drumah dala shobhinim
Suhasinim, sumadhura bhashinim
Sukhadaam varadhaam, maataram
Vande Maataram
**********************************************************

4 comments:

  1. Nice translation... I had never thought of delving deep into the meaning. But, whenever I sang the National Anthem, there was certainly a sense of pride I felt.

    Good that you started a blog. I got one more reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The National anthem was written by Rabindranath Tagore as a tribute to the visiting King George V and the Queen Of England. Makes me feel a little cheated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently, he had written it as a tribute to God who looks over benevolently over our country. When the INC approached him to write a song for the visiting dignitaries, he gave them this song. Which may be why it later found favour to be deemed our national anthem. Tagore later confessed this to one of his friends...

    ReplyDelete